Japanese Garden

Japanese Garden

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Twenty-two days and counting...

        Ha. It seems impossible. In three weeks and one day I will drive to Ohio, drop off a mewling kitty and several boxes, then catch a bus early in the morning. Yikes! Obviously I won't be giving my exact location while on the trail, but the gist is a two and a half week walk southbound from PA, followed by a seven or eight week walk northbound.
        Why the changeover? Mostly because there is a conference I must attend as Yearbook Coordinator for next year, in the middle of June. After two weeks, my legs will probably be very thankful for a break. Also, by walking through some of the mid-Atlantic states first, I hope for a smoother start than the all-out 3 and 4 thousand foot dips in the GA mountains. For those of you who may be new to the AT, it covers fourteen states and approximately 2,174 miles. Realistically I have no clue how far I will make it. Ideally, it would be pretty amazing to cover between 600 and 1,000 miles this summer. That would allow time to finish next summer, if hiking still sounds appealing. (: The highest point on the trail - a point I will cross this summer- is Clingman's Dome at 6,643 ft  (I think). There are shelters and campgrounds along the trail and towns are spread intermittently along or nearby the AT.
          What am I looking forward to the most? A new experience. An experience that will allow me to talk to and collect stories from others along the way. Peace and quiet for most days where there is nothing in the front, back, or middle of my mind to muddle up thoughts except a walk. A chance to soak in nature the way God intended. Okay, I know this corridor of green has been altered by humans, but there will still be jaw-dropping momments of beauty!
          Any suggestions for music are welcome! I don't encourage taking technology to the trail, but a little can go a long way. Take care my friends and family!
                                                                                                                                       God Bless,
                                                                                                                                                S

No comments:

Post a Comment