![]() |
| Wrong Way Mountain |
![]() |
| Rocky Path |
Thru-hikers are excellent people. There was only time to talk to a few, but they were a great group. One that stayed at the second shelter the same night as me, came lumbering in with 65 lbs on his back! I could only stare in disbelief. He explained there was a job waiting for him in Maine this winter, so he packed extra things he wouldn't normally. His pack made my pack look like a featherweight. All I could think about were rocks. He assured me the rocks did end, and after the descent I should have a nice clear path for the next day. I was thankful! I never could understand how he made it down that rock mountain with 65 lbs.
The third day was clear and I left early, again. This time the descent went fairly quickly but I couldn't help but dwell on what I could be accomplishing back home. I looked at my eight to ten-inch path and decided that was it. If I made it off the mountain, I would come home and regroup. I could also get in shape for the NEXT time I want to walk a section of the AT. Again the AT played its trick and the more I kept walking, the farther the trail seemed to extend. After about ten miles, I made it to a place I could call for a shuttle and made my way back to the bus station.
It was quite the experience and I learned I do enjoy camping and hiking quite a bit. However to be immersed in nature means I have to give up a watch and schedule, which I dearly love. Next time I know how to adjust gear to make it a little lighter and give myself more time without interruption or deadlines. I also need to know the terrain. Had I stayed on the trail, I would have been stuck somewhere for a week to allow my feet to heal. They were in bad shape after all of those rocks!Thanks for your interest and prayers family and friends and I will see most all of you very soon!
God Bless,
S



No comments:
Post a Comment